| Mobile| RSS

Lacking Hospitaliano?

Wednesday, October 26, 2005 | posted in | 1 comments

During today's lunch shift at the Olive Garden, I had yet another meltdown in which I lost control of my mental state and totally broke down in a fit of anger and frustration. Many of my fellow employees believed I was weeded (which means, "dealing with too much to handle" in restaurant terminology). The managers assigned me three tables today and I was clearly not ready for it. My experiences today, in my honest belief, go even further than just being frustrated or weeded.

My feeling is that I need to get out the restaurant industry A.S.A.P. before something negative happens. There is no sense in one sticking with a job or position that brings out the irrational side of one's personality and behavior. Insanity has never been, nor will it ever be, a prerequisite for progress and success. I literally blew up at a manager today and started hollering at her. Managers keep telling me that I do not believe in myself and that my lack of confidence is the primary cause of my dilemmas as a server. I disagree with that. I do not lack confidence or self belief. I did not lack either of those when I got a job at the Olive Garden as a server assistant. I firmly believed in myself when I revolutionized bussing and raised the standards for the rest of the server assistants, sending them home with little money because I earning so much of it. I was supremely confident enough to continue my college education through all of the rough times.

One would argue that I am having a difficult time with serving and that is no different than my troubling moments in college. There is a difference between those two scenarios. I liked college from the start; I do not necessarily like serving tables in a restaurant. Afterall, being a server was my last resort for an internship after all of the hotels in the local area failed to give me the necessary time and day. I do not lack confidence. What I do lack is patience and composure. I also have a temper, in addition to an insane alter-ego that occasionally surfaces, whenever I become frustrated from something not resulting in an outcome that is favorable to my interests. As a result of my anger, management cut me and let me go for the rest of the day. In no way, shape, or form was I in any type of stable mentality to continue my duties as a server. I suppose we'll see what happens come Friday (the next day I am scheduled to work).

I pray that I complete this internship before I lose my job as a result of these heated flake outs. If I can keep my head about me for just a little while longer, graduation is just around the corner. Easier said than done. Perhaps the Olive Garden woke up sleeping monster when they granted me this internship opportunity. Telling me I don't believe in myself? That is only going to make matters worse!

1 comments
gravatar
Anonymous
on 3:50 PM  

Will Pajamas Media Wake Up Blogs?
Big-name political bloggers are banding together to try to bring order to the sometimes-chaotic ... Richard Silverstein has analyzed some of the bigger names in Pajamas Media to show their conservative tilt in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, saying that their viewpoints are farther to the right than Ariel Sharon's.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to road construction safety equipment on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like road construction safety equipment!

Post a Comment

Twitter